Monday, May 26, 2008

Wikis

I can see the problems with wikis but find them a great source of information on subjects new to me. A bit like doing university assignments when you haven't had a good secondary education; going to high school level texts etc. will sometimes give you enough of an overview to get the gist of the matter, especially if its really complex.

I looked at the wiki for my hometown of Dunfermline in Scotland and was interested to see that Andrew Carnegie's birthplace museum has nothing in its entry. My grandmother Anderson was always proud to tell me that she supplied the linen for the bed in the museum, her small claim to fame! I didn't feel I could enter this fact though, as for all I know the linen was thrown out years ago.

1 comment:

slnsw_learning_2.0 said...

I like your analogy for using wikis - they may not all be a definitive source of information but they can be useful starting points often providing helpful definitions or useful links.

Perhaps you could edit the wiki to add this information in. It sounds like useful local information.

Ellen (PLS)